12.27.2009

how to be alone.

I don't know if i could be called a film buff, but i do love watching movies. I especially love the experience of actually going to the theater... buying tickets, smelling popcorn (or caramel popcorn if you're in Korea), observing upcoming movie posters, walking through the carpeted corridors, having the lights dim, watching previews, etc. (that is why I hate going into movie theaters late... previews are the best part). But since I've been on a rather lengthy dating hiatus, I haven't had opportunities to go as often as i would like. I enjoy watching movies with friends, but (with the exception of a few) my friends generally think it's a waste of time and money to go to the movie theaters, especially when you can just rent it in DVD in a few months. Also, most friends think it's more fun to hang out, talk, eat, drink, and be merry. But I find it great quality time to watch a movie together... it's a "shared experience." Plus I love critiquing things afterwards.

I've been saying this for a long time now, and I will officially post it on my blog to set it in stone... but I will go to the theaters and watch a movie by myself. It's kind of strange, because I enjoy hanging out by myself (I am great company... just not to other people haha), but I have this complex of eating/watching a movie alone. But I will do it! I just wish there were some smaller, obscurer movie theaters nearby (like there were in LA) so I wouldn't feel so lame.

2 comments:

Jess said...

i believe in you! one day you will be able to say you achieved your goal...

jojo said...

you will one day go alone to the theatre... watch the movie... laugh by yourself.. miss me and my commentary a little... and then get up to leave after it's over... feeling accomplshed... only to realize that i had followed you there and ruined this little dream of yours!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHA!