12.31.2010

the madness has begun

I was probably one of the most anti-smartphone people of all the people I knew. I couldn't stand it when my friends would constantly be on their iphones/droids/crackberries while we were at some social gathering. It's like they prefer virtual reality over reality. And the overwhelming multi--functionality of smartphones scared me (I believe I even wrote a xanga entry about it, back in the day). A phone/mp3 players/camera/internet browser/etc. etc. in one? It all just seemed so excessive.

But after a considerable amount of teasing & badgering from friends and coworkers, I finally caved in and got myself a droid. I realized I can either "get with the times" or be left behind. And sadly, this little device has already taken its crippling hold on me. Yesterday, I went to a nice little Christmas dinner gathering and I found myself opting out of conversations with people I haven't seen in a while and gravitating towards my phone. Mind you, I just got it yesterday, but still~ the old Julie would've never chose phone over friends. But there I was- isolating myself in a corner, getting all app-happy.

And the scariest part is once you get a smartphone, you've reached a point of no return. I can never go back now to the simpler times when I would have ample leisure reading time in the bus/subways or when I wasn't so "connected" to everything. Now, there is absolutely no lagtime for when anyone emails/chats/facebook messages me... it's all there with super speedy connectivity. It's all downhill from here.

4 comments:

Angie said...

dude, that's what i'm scared of, too! hat's why I swore off iphones/smartphone/droids, etc, but you know..... i feel like a dinosaur without one. People like me are slowly becoming extinct.

I'm thinking of getting the iphone by the end of next year when my contract expires.

w said...

you get over it after a while.

Young said...

Welcome to NY life! This means you have to reply back to my emails on time! :-P

NateKwak said...

you can learn to control IT, over letting IT control you. You just have to resolve in your heart to do it. I took off most of the auto syncing

Good to see you yesterday julie!