1.10.2011

two girls w/ larger-than-life dreams

This past weekend as I was moving my stuff from Jersey to Long Island City, it really hit me that my cousin will be leaving to Korea in less than a month. Ever since arriving in the east coast, she has been my cornerstone and mentor, teaching me all the know-hows and the whereabouts of this crazy place.

We've been through such extreme highs and lows together. Oh, I'll never forget our own personal "great depression"- our period of unemployment with no foreseeable end in sight. Those days we would get bummed out being in our little basement we called a home and snuck out to the local mart to get some mahk-guh-lee (white rice wine). But we had our good times too... the all-night escapades with strangers we met only the night before. She was my Sigourney Weaver to my Jennifer Love Hewitt (à la Heartbreakers).

We were never very close growing up though she would always send me beautifully crafted, handmade birthday gifts from Korea and I would send her the newest Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears CD's, which she loved. Funny how she claims when we were young, she thought I was the most coy and sneaky little girl. Like the time she claims she asked me for a certain toy, and after willfully saying she could have it, I would go behind her back and quietly whimper to my older brother. She said I was quite the "yuh-woo" (trans: fox). However, as we grew up, I think our roles reversed. She is now one of the most cunning people I know, and somehow I've turned into a naive, oblivious little thing. She was always so good at taking care of me whether it was making sure she got an extra yogurt for me from a restaurant or protecting/wingmanning for me whenever I needed it. I remember one of our new guy friends would exclaim how I became so mean all of a sudden after his first impression of me being a sweet, nice girl. My cousin would butt in and say "it's because I taught her well."

God, I'm gona miss her.

1 comment:

E. Kay said...

your cousin is a little crazy but i miss her too.