8.16.2010

life update

People assume that I eat all kinds of exciting food since I'm in New York- a mecca for eclectic dining.

But to be honest, every time we end up eating out, we always somehow manage to end up in K-town. K-town isn't really even a town in New York (not even comparable to Los Angeles)... merely a small strip of Korean restaurants, hofs, and stores. And it always smells like wet dog or sewage.


Maybe it's temperamental stomach, but all I crave these days is some good Korean cookin'. And every time I eat an American meal (burgers, barbeque, etc.), I find myself feeling sorely disappointed. Even Italian fare doesn't really "hit the spot" for me anymore. I haven't even tried out any landmark dessert places either... I think my sweet tooth is slowly rotting away.

I think I've eaten 라뽁이(?) at least every week since I've arrived.


People say they miss Mexican food when they move to the east coast, but I could care less about King Taco or El Taurino. All I really miss is my grandma's home cooking. I could really go for some 갈바찜 right now.

한식짱!

* * * * *
I think it's kind of a curse that I could survive off so little sleep. While all my friends are sleeping in after a late late night (possibly early morning) of partying, I'm always up at 9:00am regardless of what time I slept. And then I'm just bored out of my mind as I roam around their cavernous apartments, trying to entertain myself making the smallest amount of noise possible (though my friends would probably disagree).

So then I get ready and venture out to the city by myself, which usually means going to the nearest bookstore or ordering the least expensive item at a cafe and people-watching. Which reminds me, the other day I was really craving a breakfast sandwich when I was out in my solitary morning/early afternoon adventures, so I tried looking for the nearest McDonalds. I couldn't find one, so I stumbled into a Subway, but they weren't serving breakfast anymore. So I ended up at some random deli and ordered an egg sandwich. And it was exactly that: one egg smashed in between two pieces of bread. As I scarfed it down hungrily adding my own fixin's of ketchup, I thought to myself, "Wow. I must look really pitiful right now." And then I went to the Sephora next door and tried out every perfume there was and got into an hour-long conversation with the salesperson there. Then after a headache from all the perfume-testing, I went to Barnes and read an entire book about useless trivia. I think if I put my mind to it, I could write a book about entertaining oneself and the joys of being alone. "How to be Alone." Oh wait, Jonathan Franzen used that title already. Oh poo.

1 comment:

rachlyu said...

oh julie! I miss you. I really liked reading about your adventures in NY. er...adventure. write more!