5.25.2012

smalltown girl

I noticed that riding in airplanes makes me into a tv addict.  To ease my boredom whenever I'm on those 5 hour NY<-> LA flights, I watch every single complimentary tv show that I can possibly watch (which isn't much if you're flying Delta).  In fact, their selection is quite limited and random; also, you can't even skip to the beginning/end of shows, which means you're pretty much forced to sit through that whole episode of Two Broke Girls to get to 30 Rock.   But sometimes, this process has some rewards-> I would've never had the patience to get into Community or Parks and Rec (esp since their first few episodes were rather lackluster), but the random episodes I saw on the plane really made me fans (Actually for P&R, I didn't have the will to go back 4 seasons and catch up).

So this time around, I actually caught episodes of Smash and Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23, which I both loved.  In fact, it's funny because 3 of the new shows I'm watching right now (the two mentioned as well as HBO's Girls) all have a running theme in them:

Smalltown/Suburban girl (Karen, June, Hannah) moves to NYC with larger-than-life dreams (broadway star, Wall Street girl, writer), ends up initially struggling to make ends meet (coffee shop, coffee shop, random office job where her boss sexually harasses her on a daily basis) but finds things that are somewhat redemptive to her sad situation (gets cast in Broadway musical as an ensemble member, forms an odd but good friendship with b**** roommate, I don't know what Hannah's redemptive storyline is but I'm sure it'll happen soon).

And another thing that ties their stories all together would be their somewhat supportive, but unconditionally loving parents - mom & dads with big hearts but small-town minds.  It's funny because in the episodes I saw this week (at least for Girls & Smash), Hannah & Karen end up going back home to see their families (Wow, are these shows parallel to my life or what?), and as annoying/smothering as their parents may be, their love is what keeps these girls going (regardless of their not-so-ideal situations in NYC).

It's been about 2 weeks since I've been back, but I still miss my family.  I've been talking/texting with them almost on a daily basis, and I think they could hear it in my voice.

But despite my pangs of homesickness, I realized I need to be out here.  It's almost my 2-year anniversary in NY, and whatever I needed to do out here (though I can't even verbally state what exactly that is), I feel that I'm not finished.  As cheesy as it may sound, my NY dream isn't quite over just yet.

1 comment:

Jess said...

just bone out when it becomes a nightmare! :P