8.09.2011

movie night

I watched "Sliding Doors" the other night (otherwise known as the movie where Gwyneth debuts her blond pixie 'do)... I remember watching the movie back when I was in grade school and even at that young age, I remember really liking it. I think I have an affinity towards any movie, book or tv show that centers around this concept of fate (that would explain why I clung onto "How I Met Your Mother" much longer than I should have). The film basically takes you down two different paths of Gwinnie's life depending on the seemingly minute detail of whether she made the subway or not.

Living in a place like NY and taking public transportation every morning and evening, I seem to be in these split-second predicaments all time:
Should I try to run and make it on this train or should I just wait for the next one?
Should I get off at 34th and walk the rest of the way to work?

Should I take the bus or the subway?
Should I take the R or just wait 5 more minutes to take the N?

In fact, even today, I decided (since it was a nice balmy night and all) that I would walk from Tribeca to 32nd st and take the bus the rest of the way to Long Island City. I wish I could say that I ran into the love of my life while I was at the bus stop (in fact, it would make this entry a lot more interesting), but 'fraid not.

Anyway, I think I'm diverging from my point, which was not to get into this huge bloated discussion about fatalism, but it was simply to say that I still really enjoyed the movie, and I forgot how kind and endearing John Hannah's character was in the film. I love the scene where Gwyneth's character Helen awkwardly runs into John Hannah's character James after they've both been waiting for the other to call.



But I had to say the movie left me feeling a bit funny, so I tried to end the night on a light note by watching "Heathers" (with the lovely Winona back in her hey-day), but that movie ended up making me feel a little strange too. So I had to resort to my current go-to mindless, feel-good film, "Easy A." Watching movies is like eating food. You want to end the night with something light and fresh to cleanse your palate.