8.28.2011

self-made men/women

As I was taking cover for Hurricane Irene yesterday, I decided to watch "Coco Avant Chanel"- a biopic depicting the early life of Coco Chanel.


It's amazing to see how this girl who was practically an orphan was able to overcome the traps of poverty & a rigid, chauvinistic society and build one of the largest fashion dynasties in the world. And it was interesting to see the influence of the men in her life from the Baron, whose life and kingdom she weaseled her way into through the most aggressive means, to Boy Capel, the love of her life who gently encouraged her to pursue her gifts.

In a world where woman weren't supposed to work and were only seen as accessories to men, she was able to revolutionize the fashion industry by becoming the first female designer and entrepreneur. In a world of excess and frivolity, she was able to showcase a style based on simplicity and elegance (i.e. the little black dress, two-piece suits).

"As soon as you set foot on a yacht you belong to some man, not to yourself, and you die of boredom."- coco chanel

I've been going on a binge of reading up and researching these type of rags-to-riches stories, specifically on people who come from less-than-fortunate backgrounds and truly pursued what they loved. With all the recent news about Steve Jobs stepping down, I started researching (or googling) on his life, and I was blown away by his story. From being an adoptee to being let go from his own company to suffering from cancer and other health problems, this brilliant man has gone through a helluva lot. But his technological prowess, his emphasis on aesthetics, his hunger for innovation, and his love for his craft pulled him through even the darkest of times.

Unlike his rather 'square' contemporaries, Steve Jobs has the unique gift of knowing what consumers want in their products. I still remember my brother criticizing me for getting my first iBook when I was 18, saying that the only reason I wanted it was because it was "pretty." Which was entirely true (though I didn't admit it at the time), and Steve Jobs knew that.

My friend sent me this clip of a commencement speech he gave back in '05:


I know commencement speeches can be a bit gimmicky and "for show", but listening to this speech made me want to re-evaluate my life path. It made me really think about what I truly value & love and how these things can translate into a career. I'm still thinking.

No comments: