11.07.2010

street art


I love walking thru Chelsea/the Meatpacking District, because of all the random street art... it's like a happenstance outdoor exhibit- for free! I have a thing for low-brow art (though I hate the graffiti on the way to Queens taking the 7 train... something about it is just overwhelmingly garish...reminds me of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air logo).

I'd have to say David Choe was the one who first piqued my interest for this genre. After watching his documentary Dirty Hands, I was very wow-ed by his wayward path, rebelling against his very normal Korean-American upbringing. Also, his first solo show was called "Double Rainbow," way before the youtube clip made it popular... what a trend-setter. I also met him in person a few years ago at the Giant Robot meet & greet and he was unexpectedly sweet... even to my male friend who hit on him.

(I remember I thought he was so cool and would lie to my old co-workers saying he was my cousin...)

And ever since watching Exit Through the Giftshop, I was completely enthralled by this secret inner circle of street artists. I think what really appeals me to when it comes to Banksy's art is his ability to balance the light and heavy. He is able to convey deep, dark, and often political/social messages in a whimsical way. This bit of playfulness is what I appreciate when it comes to art whether its Magritte's surrealistic paintings, Billy Collin's poetry or Kundera/Vonnegut's unconventional narrative voices.

With my bowler hat, I should've been THIS guy for Halloween.

My goal in NY is to become a street artist. Of course, announcing it here on my blog already takes away my street cred (I'm supposed to be as anonymous and elusive as possible). Nevertheless, I'm already working on my trademark designs and a catchy pseudonym.



No comments: