11.12.2010

remembrance

While we were walking to the bus terminal on 41st st. the other day, my friend looked around and exclaimed how we pass by this area everyday as if it's any ol' block in town, yet Times Square is considered the #1 destination for people all over the world.

I remember a little over a year ago when I visited NYC, all chipper and starry-eyed... Right when I stepped into this glitzy strip of lights, I couldn't contain my simple, unaffected vigor for life. But now, I've officially become the numbed, jaded New Yorker as I irritably pass straight through people's pictures and shove my way through the masses. I keep my strained eyes to the ground to avoid the bright lights (as well as eye contact with rowdy, homeless folks).

It's almost like being in a relationship with someone. In the beginning, you're just giddy with excitement and you notice the great, unique qualities that sets this person (or in this case, this city) apart. But after a while, seeing him day-to-day, you just become desensitized and forget the initial charm of his quick wit or his manly gait. His singularity becomes a normality, and you wonder to yourself how things have gotten so... (for lack of a better word) blah. I guess that's the flaw of man: we just get used to everything where we end up appreciating nothing.

So New York, I will promise not to take you for granted. I will be in awe of the flatiron building every morning when I pass it. I will fall in love with Central Park like it's the first time. I will take joy in riding your subways and passing through your busy streets. I will not forget why I left deadbeat Cali for you. You will always be numero uno.

3 comments:

Hector said...

Nooo... don't become a jaded New Yorker! Avoid tourist traps and check out the Indian food block on 1st ave and E. 6th St. Then find the best pizza place in NY. I think its called Rays. Take the subway to this place: http://www.fastcodesign.com/1662679/stunning-nyc-subway-station-hidden-in-plain-sight-until-now. Check out a show at Irving Plaza

jojo said...

<3 at first sight... can't beat ny nights!

Young said...

HAha I guess I somehow made you think!