10.22.2010

Pakistan's bloody dynasty

While I was getting my hair did at the salon the other day, my hair stylist passed me along a recent issue of Vogue to keep me entertained. I was excited because it was the one with Carey Mulligan (love her!) on the cover.

As I was perusing through the issue, I noticed an article on Fatima Bhutto (niece of Pakistan's former prime minister Benazir Bhutto). I think she is my new role model (begone Nat Portman, Sofia Coppola, Aimee Bender, and the likes!). Journalist, author, and poet- this beauty was even the object of affection of the debonair Mr. Clooney. Anywho, she apparently came out with a book titled Songs of Blood and Sword : A Daughter's Memoir, which recounts the tale of politics and corruption of the powerful Bhutto family.

A family of beautiful people and all too frequent assassinations, the Bhutto family is to Pakistan as the Kennedy clan was to the U.S. I read up on Benazir Bhutto last year when I was in my famous female leaders phase, and I was fascinated by the family politics and her role in the Pakistan Peoples Party. Apparently, there was a rivalry between Benazir and Fatima's father, Murtaza Bhutto, and the book sheds light on his political life and his death in '96, which she suspects that her own aunt took part in.

This story almost plays out as a melodramatic Korean family drama and totally puts the Benazir in a new (negative) light, though I believe there always has been strong suspicions that Benazir's husband, Asif Ali Zardari, was the one who instigated the murder.

I really want to read it, but unfortunately I'll be on a reading (for pleasure) hiatus until the semester's over. Boooo radley.

No comments: