4.20.2010

v(^_^)v

Ever since my temporary stay in Korea, I wonder a lot about how life would've been like if my parents had never immigrated to America. I feel like I would've been a completely different person if I grew up there. Before I went to Korea, I didn't have a very strong interest in Korean history/culture. Also, to be honest, I kind of looked down on fobs. Whenever I'd see fobs at school, I couldn't help but feel slightly annoyed... I guess you could say that I had this strange, unwarranted superiority complex towards them. I'm not sure where exactly it rooted from, but maybe it had to do with their broken English, silly haircuts, obsession with pens, and not smiling with their teeth in pictures... I couldn't stand it. But after going to Korea, I have a newfound respect for fobs. In fact, I embrace them. It's not easy to come to a new country and have to start all over again... Even out of the kids at my hakwon, I always find myself being really chatty with the ones straight from the motherland.

There's something very romantic about Korean culture. They place so much focus on dating, and they stress fanciful concepts like 'first love' and 'ideal types' and all that hoo-ha. I would like to experience dating as a Korean-born person in Korea. As much as I make fun of it, I think I would totally be one to get couple shirts, send ridiculously cutesy text messages ^^, and prepare extravagant White Day gifts. I'd eat all that cheezy shiz up. Speaking of Korean romance, I adore this new couple on the Korean variety/reality show "We Got Married". I want to go on a Lotte date! T_T









sigh. so korean. I love seeing cute Korean couples doing cute things. I remember there was this one time my friends and I went to take photobooth pics in Korea, and I found a strip of photos of this really cute Korean couple... and I ended up taking it with me, and I still have it somewhere in my stash of memorabilia. Okay that sounds really creepy/weird, but it just made me happy.

4 comments:

Jess said...

hahahhaha you creeper! lemme see~

i could see what kind of fob you'd be... i wonder what i would be like... ultimate shigs or what?

grace said...

we loves us some yonghwa, don't we? <3

Anonymous said...

julie boolie~ i totally feel ya on the parents not coming to the us thing. i feel bad for them.

and also, many KOREAN relationships ARE A SHAM. and trust me, lots of people i know get married after just a few months of knowing each other. everyone cheats here, and its somewhat accepted :(. don't be brainwashed by korean dramas to make you believe there is some innocence and truth to their relationships....

Anonymous said...

love, char