2.21.2010

what is wrong with me

I think there is a slightly sadistic side of me.

Some people (like my friend Jessica) are creatures of practicality. She always knows the shortcuts to everything, always manages to do the proper research before buying anything (well with the exception of her Dell laptop), always seems to know who/what to consult for the matter at hand.

I, on the other hand, will make do for less. I never do enough research for anything I buy.

Par exemple:
my lovely new cellphone. I was planning to buy the LG enV (follow the crowd...) but after the cellphone lady told me that it would cost an extra $10/month and the phone itself is more expensive, I decided to resort to a motorola. Basically- it sucks. It lags, it's buttons are sketchy, and its sound quality is subpar. If I checked it out beforehand or asked around, I would have known better. But no, my "que sera sera" self didn't care for it so now I'm stuck with this phone for two years. Some suggested I should go back but oh well.

I remember many instances where co-workers would use my computer and ask me in pure disbelief and horror, how I could stand using such a deficient mouse (it was the roller ball kind, not the laser kind, that was basically a pain in the arse). I just shrugged and said I got used to it. Every time, they'd use my computer, they'd be like CHANGE IT ALREADY. But I didn't mind (Or maybe I did mind but convinced myself that I didn't. Maybe I did mind but was too lazy to do anything about it. I don't know.) Eventually my boss ended up using my computer one day and said my mouse was intolerable and changed it the very next day.

Maybe I am too complacent with things. I use Jessica as a prime example because she used to get so irritated at the fact that my brastraps or backpack straps were twisted. I don't know why this annoyed her to such an unspeakable degree, but she would snap at me and question how I could live like this. I, on the other hand, was not even aware of the discomfort that the twisted straps were causing. After a while, I got in the habit of checking them, just to avoid a scolding from my best friend.

Even today, Jess tries to show me shortcuts in directions or how to change the settings of my Mac (to make it more user-friendly), I brush off her suggestions, not wanting to complicate my tried-and-true methods. Ironically, my way of doing things are a lot more complicated than hers are.

6 comments:

Jess said...

yay to my many shoutouts! hahahah...
oh julie... i must learn to accept your complicated ways~ <3 uuuuu

hector said...

I never notice anything wrong with the way you things. Your PeRRFect just the way you are!

jojo said...

hector a) does not know you well enough. b) also lives a very complicated life full of twists and turns.

you need to stop fighting the simple way of life.

when i heard you got a motorola, i wanted to take your phone and throw it to the ground.

you should have asked... could have gotten you an envy3 for free if you went the korean route~

rachlyu said...

hehehehheeh maybe you should get new best friends?? JK!

Hector said...

Jojo, you need to be more understanding, why would you want to throw her new phone to the ground? Sometimes you just need to work with what you have.

jojo said...

hahah oh hector, you are so lovely! i want to fill you up with some hateorade!!!

p.s. jessica is not always right. her ways can be too sterile and abrasive sometimes, (if that makes you feel better) haha

find the balance.... hohoho