1.12.2010

who ate all my peanut butter

I feel like Korean-Americans generally consider it a red flag to work for a Korean company (or business). I was really thinking about it the other day, and I feel like someone out there (I could volunteer myself) should write some kind of book/thesis about this topic.

Koreans (I'm talkin' native Koreans or fobs) have a different mentality when it comes to work. Basically, work= life... coworkers= family. There are no clear lines drawn between work life and personal life. Going out with your coworkers after work is mandatory. Drinking is mandatory as well (When I interviewed for both Samsung & KBS America, one of the interview questions was "How much can you drink?"). There are no strict hours, but you're expected to work as many hours as needed (usually working overtime without getting paid overtime). There is no yours or mine, but only ours. This might be why people will get the bizarro idea that it's okay to eat all your peanut butter in the shared fridge.

I realized one bad thing about being around too many asians is the prevalence of passive-aggressive behavior (ironic how as I blog about this, I'm also stooping to it as well ). So much backdoor gossip and indirect means of retaliation... gives me a headache. >_< I guess that's one thing I (kind of) appreciate about my family. Everyone's pretty confrontational and upfront when they don't want to do something or just don't give a hoot.

On a brighter note, did I mention how useful Urban Dictionary is? I love this site. Yeah, there are some vulgarities on there, but how else would I keep up with the up & happenin's of net lingo?


ngl
dnw
idek
idawtc
lulmuffins.




OoOoOoh do want do want!

1 comment:

jean said...

mte bb
w/o urbandictionary i'd be omona illiterate