7.27.2011

hand-holding

So this past weekend, with much fear and anxiety, I attended my first girl's football practice. And of course, I ended up hurting my finger while catching (or not catching) the ball:


Even though it's a tiny injury, it's kind of amazing what kind of toll this itty bitty finger can take on a person. Though it's on my left hand (and I'm a right-handed person), it's been a bit of an annoyance to type (since that's all I do both at work and at home). I realized being right or left handed really doesn't make that much of a difference anymore in this keyboard-prone age.

Anyway, when I went to go see the doctor the following Monday, he just shook his head at me like a disapproving parent, completely baffled that I didn't come in to a hospital or doctor's office right when the injury occurred. I ended up having to run across town in the rain to get x-rays (which showed that there was no fracture to the dismay of my doctor), and with a little bit of p.t., my finger will be supposedly back to normal.

But aside from all of that, this all made me realize how sheltered and even babied I've been my whole life. Every sickness, every stomachache, every minor injury- my family has been there for me. Even when I sprained my ankle in Korea, my aunt took me to get acupuncture with my cousin's insurance. I guess there is some hint of truth to what Alexandra Wallace said about Asian children not being able to fend for themselves because their parents are cooking food and doing laundry for them every weekend. To be honest, my parents did this for me every weekend during my UCLA years, and I never thought there was anything wrong or unusual about it. And though I was a bit of a brat at times, I think there's some sense of filial duty and a deeper joy for Korean parents to do these things for their kids. It's the labor of love, and I just hope I can practice the same type of selflessness for my kids (though that just means they have to give me massages at my beck and call...muhaha).

Oh, and I actually texted the above pic of my finger to my brother.
His reply-> Broham: "Stupon 걸. You were meant to read books not do sports!"

Oh, you are so right.

3 comments:

james said...

good to know there was no fracture!

Jess said...

no football forever?

jojo said...

who needs their ring finger anyways.... useless! haha

i guess you can always write about the all football i'm gonna play on your behalf... =/