3.26.2011

Now is the winter of our discontent, Made glorious summer by this sun of (New)York

The other day, I passed through the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Times Square as I was waiting for some friends. It made me feel oddly nostalgic; I used to take buses there all the time, back when I used to be a bridge-and-tunnel girl living in Jersey (though I'm technically still a bridge girl, since I'm in Queens). Ahhh~ I remember those days... wearing breezy sundresses and running in humid weather, trying to catch the last 11pm express bus. With frantic (or so it seemed) classical music setting my panicked mood, I would haphazardly run up the escalators of the empty station. Funny thing is that it was only a few month ago, but it feels like years have passed since those Jersey days.

That's the thing about New York; the seasons go by in exponential speed, each one being so distinct from the prior. When people here find out I'm from Cali, they always ask in bewilderment, "How could you leave Cali?! The beautiful weather?!" I swear, that is like 9 out of the 10 reactions I get. But seriously- how could you appreciate beautiful weather if it's beautiful all the time? There is no bad to make you appreciate the good. And I think that's also why everything feels so slow and lazy in SoCal: everything is lumped together in one indistinguishable mass of time. While here, different months call for different clothing, different moods, different food, different work ethics, different outlooks, different activities, a different culture & lifestyle altogether. Though the weather here is testy, I like the variety of spells and seasons. When the sun unexpectedly decides to shine its face on a Tuesday, I can't help but to bask in the sunlight and walk around with a huge smile on my face. When there is a hail/sleet storm on a Wednesday, I splash around in my rainboots, sharing giant umbrellas with my well-prepared friends.

With that said, when is it going to be Spring?

2 comments:

Young said...

Ooh i like this post. You have a very valid point :-) makes me appreciate NY more.

Although... I don't have rainboots :-(

jean said...

i love this post