9.11.2010

f.n.o.

Going to Fashion Night Out in the city last night brought it home again that NYC is a place where there is a huuuuge gap between the have's and have-not's. Maybe it's because I'm always in the grungier parts of town, but I always seem to forget that there are millionaires and billionaires in the midst of us.

lovely lines

real live ken dolls!

this little girl is way too precocious for her own good.

As I strolled around, getting free cocktails and hor d'oeuvres from Tiffany's, Mikimoto's, and Bergdorf & Goodman- I was constantly surrounded by modelesque beauties and rich socialites schmoozing it up as they gave each other thoughtless pecks on the cheek and paraded around in their chichi outfits. And there I was- with my disheveled hair and ill-clad in my Forever 21 jacket and Steve Madden shoes. I felt like the epitome of the "small-town girl" as I was wide-eyed and in-awe by the glitz and glamour of it all. I even found myself subconsciously "ooh-ing" & "aah-ing" at the pretty brand-name trinkets & treasures that I wouldn't have given a second thought to a month ago. (Just last week, I was poking fun at every pretentiously ridiculous item at the Commes des Garcons store.) Afterwards, while all the fancy folks went to their Michelin star restaurants and private parties, we went to Subway for some fine dining.

But don't all Cinderella stories start off this way?


(In the words of Wilco, what would we be without wishful thinking?)

No comments: