6.28.2010

These days~

People have been asking me how it feels to be a new yorker. Honestly, I still feel like I'm on a vacation... not having classes and work has been nice... though a little stressful and taxing knowing that my funds are dwindling and that I need to find a job pronto. But the novelty hasn't worn off, and I find myself bright-eyed and piqued by all the sights and sounds of the city. My comrade and I have been trekking through Manhattan (no joke... like 40+ blocks at a time), just breathing in everything (yes, the smog-filled, sewage stench still has its rugged charm).

Though I can't say I'm a 100% New Yorker... I've been having to move back and forth from New Jersey and New York everyday these past few days. People ask me if it's a pain in the arse having to commute the 30-45 min bus ride, but sometimes it can even be my favorite part of the day surprisingly so (but then again, its only the beginning). I guess you can say it's the only true "alone time" that I have. During the daytime, I just immerse myself in a book, and during nighttime, I just listen to some emo music while I just stare out the window and enjoy the view across the Hudson River. It's quite breathtaking... I would take a picture and post it up, but it wouldn't do it justice.


My lovely friend actually gave me The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay as a farewell present, and how apropos it is! I can empathize with Joe Kavalier as he embarks into the unknown city with big hopes and dreams. Of course, his journey is a bit more meaningful since he's leaving a Nazi-ridden country as a refugee and dreams of rescuing the rest of his family back in Prague. J.K. is such a stud... I remember a while back, jane wrote an entry about how she would date the guy if he was real, and now I totally understand.

Anyway, so today, while I was reading the book in Union Square, I got to a part where Joe starts thinking about his family back home and even thinks he sees a man who looks like his father at the New Jersey port. While I was sitting on my park bench, I actually thought I heard someone that sounded like my grandma. It was an uncanny coincidence! So, at that moment, I decided to give her a call, since she did complain to my mom about how I never call her. She was quite pleased~

1 comment:

jojo said...

too bad you can't sing on the bus like you sing in your car...

-comrade j