1.20.2010

suffering

I was talking to someone about her experience with R.O.T.C.

I asked her why she's doing it and one of the reasons (among others) she listed was simply that she wanted to experience some type of suffering in order to balance out her life.

Or I don't know if she put it in those words exactly, but that's what I got out of it.

And I totes understand, because I often inflict myself with pain (don't worry... not like physically but putting myself in painful situations).

It's kind of like the opposite effect of drugs. Drugs put us on a high so that normal life seems unbearable and dry. Whereas these little self-inflicted trials make us realize how good "normal" life is.

I think that's why I'm taking Pilates. So for an hour, every Thursday morning I can re-evaluate how wonderful life is... outside of Pilates class.

(Though I have to say it's actually getting a little better each time).

ps.
my friend just sent me a little email, alerting me that there is now a new punctuation mark that indicates sarcasm.

here's the whole article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/6995354/Sarcasm-punctuation-mark-aims-to-put-an-end-to-email-confusion.html

Coolest invention ever right? (see you don't know if I'm being sarcastic or not...)
Though I have to say I'm kind of on the fence about this one... sometimes the misunderstandings that occur over sarcasm on the web can be pretty hilarious in a disastrous way.

No comments: