8.28.2009

butterfly in the sky...

I heard the saddest news today on NPR while I was driving to work... "Reading Rainbow" will be canceled after a 26-year run (the show was two years my senior!)

It was the third longest running children's program on P.B.S. (after Sesame Street & Mr. Rogers). I remember, as a kid, watching this show everyday after coming home from school. The book recommendations by the kids at the end were the greatest... with that little sound after each book review. Da-dah-dun!

Aside from cuts from funding, it was reported that they also cancelled the show because it only taught kids why to read, not how to read and how it is more important to have programs with phonics and spelling. But I believe that it is just as important. I would've never given up precious "Duck Tales" and "Chip & Dale" time for a lesson on reading mechanics.

*sigh* I will miss you Levar Burton in all your cheesy glory.

No comments: