7.19.2009

the existence of God

I remember first watching that "the matrix" in the 8th grade and leaving the theater in a philosophical daze. I caught little snippets of it on the tube last week; It was on the defining moment where Neo had to choose between the red pill or the blue pill. It got me thinking about Christianity. I think being a Christian or truly believing in God would be like choosing the red pill. Just like the film, if we chose the red pill, we would be freed from the matrix (aka the world) and have to recognize that another, bigger world/life exists out there. But somehow people (myself included) find ourselves unable to detach ourselves from this world of ruins- to truly, fully accept the other life and see that it is better. But I don't blame people for it... life on the blue pill does seem more attractive/easier in some senses... especially if we've grown accustomed to only believing what the blue pill offers us. And especially to those who have no idea or can't even fathom that the red pill even exists.

But as I walking around the neighborhood the other day, I couldn't help but catch a glimpse of the sky bordering on sunset. I was on the phone, jabbing away about my day, my plans, or some petty thing or another, and I just halted and stood there in awe. This might sound ridiculously cheesy, but it literally took my breath away and almost brought me to tears. Aside from all the rhetoric, all the doctrine, all the history, I couldn't understand how a scene like this could let people question the existence of God.

No comments: