7.08.2009

cosplay


Sometime during high school, I decided to accompany my brother (during his obsessive anime phase) to the annual Anime Expo. The only animes I watched at the time were Sailormoon, a little bit of Dragonball when I was younger, and some scattered episodes of Cowboy Bebop & Evangelion. I didn't really know what to expect when I entered the Long Beach Convention Center, but boy~ was I in for a surprise!

There were people of all ages (babies to grandmas), of all ethnicities (I expected only Asians and a couple of geeky, Fogell-esque white guys), of all sizes (a 200 pound guy in a Faye Valentine costume is not a pretty sight) dressed up in wild, gaudy, and (sometimes) slutty costumes of their favorite characters. I mean I knew their fandom consisted of weirdos, but I guess I didn't realize the vast range of weirdos that existed.

But I'm not going to lie... ever since then, I had this strange desire to dress up as Rei Ayanami from Evangelion. There's is something so intriguing about this child: her mysterious origin, her otherworldly nature, her aloof demeanor, her questionable relationship with Shinji's hot dad... Or maybe I just want an excuse to don a short, periwinkle wig.

I used to have this co-worker who I was so intimidated by/felt awkward around, so I made it a point to strike a 5 min.+ conversation with him to overcome this fear (?). I realized the only thing I vaguely had in common with this scary man was our fervent interest in anime (well mine was pretty half-hearted). So, the following day, while we were both washing our cups in the break room, I decided to ever-so-casually ask him which animes he was watching. This dude who barely spoke 3 words to me at a time, started rambling like a used carsalesman. He even let me borrow his dvd, which included this short sweet:



who knew this icy-cold man would have a soft spot for such adorableness?

on a sidenote:


tablo ♥ kang hye jung

I hope when I get a bf, we could be half as cute as them.

No comments: