6.04.2009

dirty pop

After more than 6+ months of not watching any television (I lied... I did catch the season finale of gossip girl... totally unplanned), I just happened to stumble upon the MTV movie awards the other night.

Isn't it sad... I didn't even know the name of the guy who was hosting the whole thing. In fact, I only realized who he was halfway through the program because I remembered he was one of the dancers in that SNL skit (Beyonce's mv) with Justin Timberlake, Horatio Sans(?), and Paul Rudd, and I must've watched that clip maybe like 10 times. And what was surprising to me is that I actually found the opening act/skits of the awards pretty hilarious. I even found myself laughing out loud several times. Except there was this one part where Justin T. told the host that his penis looked like Fergie, which I found kind of mean. (Even I felt bad for her, and I really really don't like Fergie). Then, I realized living back at home, how deprived I was of American pop culture for the past few months. I guess a lot of it has to do with my recent, unhealthy fixation with k-pop. I couldn't help but feel a bit of an imbalance in my life... I realized I would go to sleep many uneasy nights without my daily dose of Conan & Colbert. When people would refer to a commercial or a new movie trailer, I would have no clue what they were talking about. I even almost forgot the beauty of Robert Pattinson.

Also, Korean humor and American humor are so different, but I appreciate the merits of both. There's something much more "child-like and goofy" about Korean humor... Koreans also use a lot more physical comedy, and even if something is really cheesy or lame, it can still be hilarious if the right person says it. Whereas American humor seems a bit more brash, more scathing at times. A lot more sarcasm is used. I don't even know what the Korean word for "sarcastic" is. But that's just my limited opinion from watching mainstream television, so don't take my word on it.

btw: I don't know when's the last time I've seen him, but Eminem hasn't aged a bit...

No comments: